Ethiopia is known to be the land where coffee beans originated. Through the years, aside from being popular because of coffee beans, this country in East Africa has been a popular destination among travellers from different parts of the world.
Despite being a relatively small country compared to other tourist destinations, Ethiopia is rich in terms of the country's unique culture and tradition. And if you are thinking about heading here, here are some of the things that you must know.
1. Wandering around Ethiopia is better when you avail a tour. Several tours here will basically bring you to the historic spots such as the Omo River Region that you might not be able to visit if you are going on an independent travel. Tour companies in this country usually offer lodging, transport, meals and several outdoor adventures to guests such as white-water rafting and trekking.
2. If you are a vegetarian, then traveling to Ethiopia is a best choice for you. According to the Living Nomads, the Ethiopians are followers of the Orthodox Christianity. They tend to hold to the belief that eating meat during Wednesdays and Fridays is forbidden. Therefore, most restaurants in Ethiopia serve an array of vegetarian menu that is equally appetizing and mouth-watering just like those of the classic meat dishes.
3. Birr is the currency of Ethiopia. And if you have plans of going to this country, you better exchange and bring plenty of birr on your trip because Ethiopians use their own currency in almost every transaction in restaurants, hotels and even in transportations. According to AFK Travel, Ethiopians rarely accept foreign currencies such as the US Dollars so in order for you to avoid experiencing inconvenience during your trip, better bring more birr with you instead of the usual currency that you are using. Credit cards can be quite handy, too.
4. Ethiopia is home to different endemic species of endangered and almost extinct mammals. Also, there are 856 species of birds that can be found in this country which are mostly fed with butterflies. So if you are the type of person who loves wildlife adventure, this is the place where you can actually experience a close encounter to different species that cannot be found anywhere else.
5. If there is one thing that puts Ethiopia in the map of the world, it is definitely the coffee beans. Before coffee reached our cups and mugs, it was first originated in an Ethiopian province called Kefa. For the record, Ethiopia has about 400,000 hectares of land where premium Arabica coffee is produced and exported all over the world.
Ethiopia definitely honors the culture and heritage of the country. This place will actually give you things and experiences that are far unique compared to other travel destinations in Africa. So pack your bags and go for the best African trip of your life.
© 2023 Travelers Today. All rights reserved. Do not reproduce without permission.