New Year's Eve is fast approaching and it's about time to start decide where you want to ring in the year 2016. Options vary from massive street party jammed full of live entertainment and other party goers to family friendly events. What's more is that cities all across the nation compete to see whose celebrations can outdo the others.
Head to Vegas for block parties, or watch the ball drop in New York City, or take your family on vacation to Hawaii. Can't decide yet? Escape Here and Travel + Leisure give you the five best places to welcome 2017.
1. Los Angeles, California. Club crawls have become popular to spend New Year's Eve, where one purchased ticket gets you pass at multiple clubs. You might also visit the annual Cleopatra's New Year's Eve Ball at the Egyptian Theatre in Hollywood, where a DJ spins the hottest tracks, an LED light show takes place and a balloon drop and confetti blast kick off the new year.
2. Chicago, Illinois. Chicago always has a lot of things to do on New Year's Eve, including dinner ideas, parties, firework cruises and family friendly events. One of the best places to head is Nay Pier, where you can find all the entertainment, rides and attractions you can handle, along with a kaleidoscope of colorful fireworks that are cued with music, that can be seen over Lake Michigan.
3. Portland, Oregon. The Portland Champagne Ball is one of the most famous parties in the city and boasts 17 bars, four different themed rooms and four dance floors. There are hot and cold buffet with deserts, late night pizza, party favors, photo booths, wine and more. Might as well try to go to Pearl District and hit up such places as Big Legrowlski, Low Brow Lounge or the Teardrop Cocktail Lounge.
4. Las Vegas, Nevada. Vegas on New Year's Eve is jampacked with over 300,000 fellow party-goers who descend on the city to take part in the festivities. At midnight, the casinos launch choreographed fireworks display that puts the Times Square ball drop to shame. Just make sure to book early and buy any tickets that you may need, as this one is a busy place.
5. New Orleans, Louisiana. Aside from Mardi Gras, New Year's Eve is one of the best parties in New Orleans. Jackson Square boasts the biggest party in town featuring live music all night long as well as magnificent fireworks display. As soon as the clock strikes midnight, a giant fleur de lis descends from a 25-foot pole on top of a building and the fireworks light up the sky in tune to the music. The party continues on Bourbon Street until the wee hours of the morning.
This article is copyrighted by Travelers Today, the travel news leader