Manpreet Kaur, 24, died on a Qantas flight from Melbourne to Delhi on June 20 just before take off. Kaur, a budding chef who was looking forward to seeing her family after four years, collapsed and died despite the flight crew and emergency services trying to save her.

Qantas Passenger Dies Suddenly Before Flight to Delhi

(Photo : Airborne YVR on Pexels)

Qantas Responds to Unexpected Tragedy

Kaur allegedly wasn't feeling well before the flight but decided to go anyway. Early reports say she may have had tuberculosis, a serious lung infection, but didn't tell Qantas before she boarded, the Independent revealed.

Qantas expressed deep condolences over the incident. "Our thoughts are with the family and friends of Manpreet Kaur," a spokesperson from the airline stated, as quoted in the report. 

The issue has raised questions about health and safety on planes, especially around communicable diseases.

Qantas contacted the Australian National Incident Centre on July 1 after they found out through the media about the possible TB diagnosis. The Victorian Health Department started a limited contact tracing on July 2 to identify and screen anyone who was on the flight. 

But they said broader contact tracing for other passengers wasn't necessary.

In the meantime, Victoria Police and ambulance are involved. 

Kaur's friends and family are mourning a life so full. Gurdip Grewal, a friend of Kaur's, said she was "kind and genuine" and has started a GoFundMe for her family. As the community is in shock, the focus remains on what happened on the Qantas flight.

Related Article: Qantas Airways Faces Financial Fallout from Flight Fiasco

Qantas Flight Linked to Measles Alert

The latest measles case in Victoria has been linked to a Qantas flight from Singapore. The patient arrived in Melbourne on Qantas 36, and a health alert has been issued. The flight from Changi landed in Melbourne at 5:25 a.m. on Tuesday, June 25.

According to Sky News, Victoria's health department confirmed that the individual diagnosed is the 11th person in the state to contract the highly contagious virus this year. They are now warning other passengers from that flight and those present in Melbourne Airport's international arrivals hall between 5:30 a.m. and 7:30 a.m. on the same day to watch for measles symptoms until July 13.

After arriving on the Qantas flight, the affected individual visited several public locations while infectious. These locations include McDonald's on Mickleham Road and the Coles in Colac on June 25, Toyworld Warrnambool, and several other sites over the following days.

Health officials told those who came into contact with the patient to be extra cautious about their health for just under 18 days after exposure in case they developed symptoms. 

As per the report, symptoms present one to eighteen days after contact, most of them starting with cough, runny nose, red eyes, and fever before a red, blistering rash associated with measles.

The health department is particularly concerned about the safety of people who visit these sites, people who are unvaccinated against measles, and more so, those who did not receive full vaccination and had traveled on that latest Qantas flight. 

They are also urging all travelers to make sure that their vaccinations are updated on this and other diseases.

Read Also: Strong Turbulence Forces Air Europa Plane to Land, 30 Injured