Starting May 10, international travelers in the Philippines will experience a more streamlined airport process. A single QR code will now serve all immigration and customs clearance needs at every international airport across the nation. 

This new system is designed to simplify the travel process, integrating various requirements into one code.

Philippines Introduces Unified QR Code

Philippines Streamlines Airport Processes with Unified QR Code System

(Photo : Patrick Roque on Wikimedia Commons)

In the past, travelers had to manage separate QR codes for the Bureau of Immigration and the Bureau of Customs. However, a recent system update has allowed for the integration of these services with the e-Travel system. 

Now, only one QR code is necessary, covering all declarations needed for immigration, quarantine, and customs.

As per GMA News, travelers will need to present their passports for e-Travel registration confirmation at immigration and show their QR code for customs clearance. This can be done upon arrival or before departure. 

In addition, travelers can complete their electronic Customs Baggage Declaration Form (e-CBDF) and electronic Currencies Declaration Form (e-CDF) via the eGovPH mobile app within 72 hours of their travel.

The Bureau of Customs (BOC) has stated that the e-CBDF must be filled out by all arriving passengers. The e-CDF is required for both arriving and departing passengers if they carry amounts over the permitted thresholds of local or foreign currencies. 

Specifically, any amount over US $10,000 or more than 50,000 Philippine pesos must be declared. Failure to do so can lead to confiscation of the funds by customs officials.

This upgrade is part of the Philippines' ongoing efforts to enhance travel efficiency and security at its international gateways, making it easier for travelers to enter and exit the country.

Related Article: Philippines Aims for Tourism Boost, Targets Austrian Visitors with New Agreement

A Surge in International Visitors This Year

The Philippines has welcomed over two million international visitors this month, marking a significant recovery in tourism. 

According to the Department of Tourism (DOT), tourism revenues from January through March reached PHP157.62 billion, surpassing the PHP130.59 billion recorded in the same period in 2019, before global travel restrictions.

As of April 24, the total number of international visitors hit 2,010,522, with 94.21 percent, or 1,894,076 foreign tourists and the remaining 5.79 percent, or 116,446 overseas Filipinos. 

This represents a 15.11 percent increase over last year's figures during the same timeframe.

Breaking Travel News also revealed that South Korea remains the top source of tourists for the Philippines, followed by the United States, China, Japan, and Australia. Other significant contributors include Canada, Taiwan, the United Kingdom, Singapore, and Germany.

Tourism Secretary Christina Garcia Frasco expressed optimism about the upward trend in tourism numbers. She highlighted ongoing efforts to enhance tourism infrastructure and improve connectivity, which are expected to boost visitor arrivals further.

The Philippines aims to attract 7.7 million international tourists this year, approaching the record 8.26 million visitors in 2019. 

Supported by the National Tourism Development Plan 2023-2028, the government and its partners are working towards sustainable tourism development, which promises more job opportunities for Filipinos.

Read Also: Here's What You Need to Know Before Visiting the Philippines