Chinese man sushi worms incident happened after a man's love for eating sashimi nearly took his life. According to multiple reports, the Chinese man sushi worms incident occurred as a Chinese man ate a suspected contaminated sashimi, which in turn has his body riddled with tapeworms.

According to the Mail Online, the man involved in the Chinese man sushi worms incident first went to his doctor after complaining of stomach pains and itchy skin. Little did he know that what would be revealed in his x-ray would leave him horrified of the results.

According to the Daily Mail, the hospital scans showed the man that his entire body is riddled with tapeworms after he ate too much sashimi, a delicacy which is made up of raw fish.

Some x-rays of the patient reportedly appeared on the website TheBlaze also reports that a photo of the scan results have been posted online and is currently gaining traction. The photos show the worms spread across the body of the man.

According to KSDK, the man in the involved in the Chinese man sushi worms incident told doctors he had consumed the sashimi (raw fish sliced into thin pieces) only recently. Now, the doctors believe the fish the man ate had been contaminated with tapeworm eggs.

The Daily Mail reports that the Chinese man had been treated at the Guangzhou No. 8 People's Hospital in Guangdong Province, in eastern China. Dr Yin at the hospital told the website that the man had suffered from cysticercosis after eating the uncooked food which appeared to be contaminated with tapeworms' eggs.

According to KSDK, cysticercosis is an infection occurring when adult worms enter a person's blood stream, and it can become life-threatening once the worms reach the brain.

According to doctors, the Chinese man sushi worms incident occurred as some of the uncooked fish from the sashimi must have become contaminated. 

Research also shows that eating raw or undercooked fish can lead to other forms of parasitic infections. Meanwhile, tapeworm infections can occur after a person ingests the larvae of diphyllobothrium. These can be found in freshwater fish such as salmon.

Though raw fish is the most likely culprit in acquiring parasitic infections, marinated and smoked can also reportedly transmit the worm. 

Poor areas with sanitation problems have increased cases of tapeworm infections, although cases have also increased in more developed countries, reports the Daily Mail.

Cases such as the Chinese man sushi worms incident have escalated in developed countries since sushi has become more famous in these locations, according to the journal "Canadian Family Physician."

Nancy Craig, the study's author said, "The widespread popularity of Japanese sushi and sashimi (slices of raw fish) is a contributor."

She adds, "But other popular dishes might also be implicated, such as raw salted or marinated fillets - which originate from Baltic and Scandinavian countries - carpaccio - very thin slices of raw fish common in Italy, raw salmon and ceviche - lightly marinated fish."

Chinese man sushi worms incident may or may not be a sanitation issue at all, since eating raw fish has been a delicacy for a long period of time. One way to avoid ingesting tapeworms is make sure your food is not contaminated, or perhaps the best way to avoid tapeworms is just avoiding eating raw meat altogether.