Heading to NYC? To help you prepare and make the most out of your trip, here are some of the things that you must avoid when you are travelling to New York City.
1. Avoid wasting time in Times Square. You do not want to spend your entire trip in being trapped in the busiest place in NYC. Yes, taking several pictures and amusing yourself in the massive signboards and buildings is not a bad thing, especially when it is your first time in New York. Usually, Times Square is packed by a lot of New Yorkers particularly on weekends so staying in this area for long is really not recommended. Also, because it's one of the most famous spots, there are a lot of tourist scams and traps--like this incident with an overcharging Mickey Mouse.
2. Avoid planning on visiting several attractions which are far from each other. As much as possible, search for a New York tourist map before your trip. Group your itinerary according to borough where they are located. Wandering around the Big Apple can be surprisingly time consuming considering all the traffic that you will encounter. So try to come up with the wisest plan to maximize your time.
3. Do not consider purchasing tickets in front of the tourist attractions that you intend to visit. As a traveller who is in a place that is as grand as New York, you do not actually want to waste all the time that you have while waiting in lines for ticket purchasing. According to Only In Your State, buying tickets through the internet beforehand will absolutely save a lot of your time which you can also use in going on other destinations and attractions.
4. Avoid walking on sidewalks as if you are the one standing on that part of the street. New Yorkers walk fast. Tales From A Fork suggests that if you really want to enjoy the streets of New York without being in a hurry, see it to that you are on the right side of the sidewalk so as to avoid the locals rushing on the left side.
5. New York is one of the most creative cities in terms of food, so it goes without saying that you should try to avoid eating in big chains like McDonald's. There are a lot of unique restaurants that are equally affordable, and a lot better compared to your typical fast food establishments. You can only find this in New York so make sure not to waste your chance.