the nonprofit, Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine has come out with a list of the country's healthiest airports.
ABC News reported that restaurants serving entrees were included in the nonprofit's analysis and the final analysis of each airport was from dividing the number of restaurants that had at least one healthy meal but the total number of restaurants in the airport.
PCRM director of nutrition education Susan Levin, M.S said to The Huffington Post, "Healthful vegetarian meals at airports across the country are just the ticket for traveling light this holiday season. But some airports still serve too many greasy cheeseburgers and slices of pepperoni pizza that leave passengers feeling grounded."
This is PCRM's 12th report and exemplifies that many restaurants do have healthy options on the menu. PCRM's website states that in 2001 the average score was 57 percent while today the score has increased 19 points to 76 percent.
The survey studied 18 of the country's major airports. Their findings showed that 76 percent of restaurants at these airports offer at least one "low-fat, high-fiber, cholesterol-free vegetarian entrée."
Newark Liberty International Airport won highest accolades with a score of 92 percent. This was the first time for the New Jersey airport to top the list, PCRM reported. The website states,
"It's an impressive ascent for Newark, which has a turbulent past-bouncing between ninth place at its worst and third place at its best."
See the full list from PCRM:
1. "Newark Liberty International Airport (92 percent)
2. Las Vegas McCarran International Airport (91 percent)
3. Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport (90 percent)
4. Houston George Bush Intercontinental Airport (87 percent)
5. (tie) Chicago O'Hare International Airport (84 percent)
5. (tie) Miami International Airport (84 percent)
6. (tie) Orlando International Airport (82 percent)
6. (tie) Washington Dulles International Airport (82 percent)
6. (tie) Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport (82 percent)
7. Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport (81 percent)
8. (tie) Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport (78 percent)
8. (tie) Charlotte Douglas International Airport (78 percent)
9. (tie) San Francisco International Airport (77 percent)
9. (tie) Denver International Airport (77 percent)
10. (tie) Los Angeles International Airport (76 percent)
10. (tie) Baltimore/Washington International Airport (76 percent)
11. Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport (69 percent)
12. Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport (58 percent)"