Beat the heat-is not only the slogan for children, parents are equally worried about their canine friends during summer.
James Nelligan, star of "Animal Movers" and owner of Pacific Pet Transport, a company that ships animals around the world, is very particular when it comes to taking care of pets and here are what he has to say:
- Don't keep the dog on your lap while driving. Many road accidents have occurred this way.
- When you think you need a break, take your dog out to stretch his/her legs too.
- Let you dog drink plenty of water. Hydration is the golden key to healthy travel.
- Put your dog on a leash when taking a break. This not only guaranties his safety, but also ensures there are no accidents around because of him.
- If using a travel crate, make sure the crate has enough ventilation so that the dog has no chance of suffocating.
- When traveling over 40 mph, don't let your dog stick its head out the window; this will protect your dog's head and eyes from flying objects.
- Make sure your dog has enough exercise before you travel to make him more relaxed during the trip.
- Check the laws in your state about traveling with your dog. Every state has its own pet laws.
- Micro-chipping is mandatory these days and it's advisable to have an ID tag on your dog's collar.