A woman in Indiana found an unappetizing surprise in her can of green beans. Gloria Chubb was microwaving a can of green beans when she found a frog in the middle of her beans.
"I thought it was maybe a piece of moldy bacon or something," she told WBND, an affiliate of CNN.
The Huffington Post reported that Chubb found the frog that was nearly intact except for some of its limbs that were amongst the green beans. She bought the cans at the supermarket, Meijer where she bought the beans and returned all her other unopened cans where she got a full refund. She has also received an apology note from the canning company and $50.
"We eat a lot of green beans. We do. We did. Nobody wants anymore now," said Chubb to WBDN.
Gloria who is a retired nurse whas about to serve the beans to her and her son for dinner with meatloaf, mashed potatoes and gravy.
"My son put some on his plate and said, 'What is that?' I thought maybe it was a piece of moldy bacon or something. Because they have bacon in them sometimes. I had it in my hand because I was trying to figure out what it was. And I took it out of there and it wasn't moldy bacon. It was a toad with parts of his little legs all in the green beans, other than that he was fully intact," said Chubb. "I didn't see it at all until after I cooked it in the microwave. I was sick, nauseated for two days, and I don't think I'll have green beans anytime soon."
Chubb took the frog and the beans to St. Joseph County Health Department where they took photos of the frog. She went to them to make sure others were aware.
Rita Hooten, food service director at the St. Joseph County Health Department said to WBDN that they would send the toad to the Indiana State Health Department where they would do an investigation.
"When the green beans were picked from the field, it was also placed on a conveyor line and just was accidentally put into the can of green beans during process," said Hooten.
© 2023 Travelers Today. All rights reserved. Do not reproduce without permission.