Two friends staying in a guest house in the coastal town of Nha Trang in Vietnam died mysteriously after allegedly being poisoned last Thursday.
Canadian-born Cathy Huynh and her friend, Karin Bowerman, a 27-year-old American, both came to Vietnam on a week-long break from work.
Bowerman, also 27, from Illinois in the United States, used to teach English in South Korea, where Huynh was her colleague.
Monday evening Bowerman fell ill and was hospitalized with the help of her friend. According to the reports, there were no bruises, but she was having difficulty breathing and her blood pressure dropped to zero. Bowerman died that same night around 10:30 p.m.
Two days later, August 1, Huynh suddenly became ill and was taken to the same Khanh Hoa Province General Hospital where Bowerman was treated.
Reports say Huynh suffered from insufficient flow of blood to the organs and tissues. She died of a cardiac arrest Thursday, while the doctors were giving her intensive care treatment.
"She enjoyed life," Velma Jacobs, grandmother Bowerman told KHOU- TV. "She was eager for everything that came along, which is probably why she went to Korea (to live)."
Investigating authorities are coordinating with the US and Canadian Consulates to find out the reason behind the mysterious deaths of the two backpackers.
The forensic department has not yet come up with any result but forensic official Pham Xuan Thong said that the samples will be analyzed at the National Forensic Examination Center in Hanoi.
In June two Canadian sisters, Noemi and Audrey Belanger were found dead in their hotel room in Thailand.
The mysterious deaths of the two backpackers in Vietnam is very similar to the incident in which the two Canadian sisters were found dead mysteriously in their room. The bodies of the sisters were reportedly found June 15 by hotel staff on Phi Phi Island in the Andaman Sea, Bangkok.
During the investigation the forensic department found vomit and blood in their room. Officials said their nails had become blue, which is a sign of serious food poisoning.