Subscribe Now

travelers today

Home » News

Tiny Pet Turtles Blamed For Salmonella Outbreak, Symptoms and Advice

Travelers Today       By    Lena Vazifdar

Updated: Oct 01, 2012 03:25 PM EDT

Text Size: A A A

turtles
Tiny pet turtles are the culprit for salmonella outbreaks around the country.(Photo : Reuters)

Tiny pet turtles may be adorable, but they are also the source for a recent insurgence of salmonella outbreaks around the country, most of which are children.

The tiny turtles which thrive on the black market have been banned by The Food and Drug Administration if they have shells less than 4 inches long. This was due to an incident in 1975, where kids would kiss the tiny pet and contaminate themselves with salmonella poisoning.

Joseph C. Paige, D.V.M., a Consumer Safety Officer in the Food and Drug Administration's (FDA's) Center for Veterinary Medicine said on the FDA website, "It is the small turtles that most often are put in contact with young children, where consequences of infection are likely to be severe," he said.

Share This Story

"Young children are ingenious in constructing ways to infect themselves. They put the small turtles in their mouths or, more often, they touch the turtles or dangle their fingers in the turtle tank water and then put their hands in their mouths. Also, sometimes the tanks and reptile paraphernalia are cleaned in the kitchen sink, and food and eating utensils get cross-contaminated."

According to the FDA turtle-related illnesses have dropped since after the ban, but illegal trade of the turtles which are used as pets is on the rise. They are often raised on turtle farms and sold in flea markets, on the web, or at pet stores. Since last year there have been salmonella outbreaks reported in 30 states.

Mike Lathroum, a senior officer with the Maryland Natural Resources Police said to United Press International, "We've really seen a big influx of these turtles for sale. I don't know why. We've not been able to determine the source."

"We've not been successful at putting anyone in jail," Lathroum added. "A lot of times these people are from out of state, so getting them back here for court has been difficult. We write the ticket, and they go on their way."

Reported by the Washington Post In 2007 a three week old baby died due to salmonella from a pet turtle which had been purchased at a flea market in Florida. A few months later two teenaged girls were in the emergency room, one with kidney failure after swimming in a backyard pool that was unchlorinated and had two small turtles in it.

The FDA recommends the following dos and don't's on their website  when it comes to turtles and salmonella:

  • Don't buy small turtles or other reptiles or amphibians for pets or as gifts.
  • If your family is expecting a child, remove any reptile or amphibian from the home before the infant arrives.
  • Keep reptiles and amphibians out of homes with children under 5 years old, the elderly, or people with weakened immune systems.
  • Do not allow reptiles or amphibians to roam freely through the house, especially in food preparation areas.
  • Do not clean aquariums or other supplies in the kitchen sink. Use bleach to disinfect a tub or other place where reptile or amphibian habitats are cleaned.
  • Always wash hands thoroughly with soap and water after touching any reptile or amphibian, its housing, or anything (for example, food) that comes in contact with the animal or its housing.
  • Be aware that Salmonella infection can be caused by contact with reptiles or amphibians in petting zoos, parks, child day care facilities, or other locations.
  • Watch for symptoms of Salmonella infection, such as diarrhea, stomach pain, nausea, vomiting, fever, and headache. Call your doctor if you or your family have any of these symptoms.

 

© 2015 Traverlers Today, All rights reserved. Do not reproduce without permission.
Join Our Conversation

Travel Tips

Lima, Peru

A Travel Guide to Peru: Things to Know

Peru is a cultural hub filled with unique sights to see, amazing cuisine, a plethora of activities, and is definitely somewhere worth putting on your travel bucket list, but there are a few things to know before planning your trip.

Subscribe to our newsletter

Receive the latest travel news, reviews, and more..

Want more Travel?

Most Popular

Viktor Leonov docked on a Cuban wharf.

Kamchatka 43 Dead Trawler: Russian Trawler Sinks Off Kamchatka, 54 Confirmed Dead, What Cased Trawler To Sink?

Kamchatka 43 Dead Trawler – A Russian Trawler off the Kamchatka peninsula has reportedly sunk. The trawler reportedly had 132 people on board. 54 of the sailors are confirmed to have died. While 63 of the people have been rescued, 15 people are still missing.

Nepal Rhino Attacks Town in southern Nepal

Viral Video: Giant Rhino Chases Motorcycles, Injures 6 And Kills 1 In Nepal

Viral Video - Giant Rhino Chases Motorcycles – In Nepal, it is not surprising to see rhinoceros in and around the area. However, one surprising event was when one rhinoceros decided to stray from its natural habitat and started chasing motorcycles.

Man Hands Out $100 Bills To Hyannis Fast Food Workers

International Quit Your Crappy Job Day 2015: 5 Signs You Should Quit Your Job

For those who don’t know, March 31 is known as the International Quit Your Crappy Job Day 2015. All around the world, a number of employees – even bosses – feel unappreciated for their hard work. Some on the other hand simply feel that they are underpaid. So, if you are one of these people, is it high time to submit that resignation letter?

4-year-old Pennsylvania girl leaves home, alone at 3 a.m. just to get a slushie

4-Year-Old Girl Slushie: Pennsylvania Girl Shocks Passengers At 3 A.M., Left Home Searching For Slushie

4-Year-Old Girl Slushie – On Friday, a raincoat-clad 4-year-old girl from Pennsylvania shocked a driver and his passengers after she boarded a public bus alone at 3 a.m. in search of a slushie, according to transportation officials Sunday.

Father and his two sons, five daughters ranging from 6 to 15 years old died from carbon monoxide poisoning

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Maryland: Neighbors Shocked By Tragic Death Of Father, 7 Kids, Electric Meter Removed?

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Maryland – Neighbors were shocked after carbon monoxide poisoning killed a father and his seven children in their one-story Maryland Eastern Shore home Monday. The 8 victims of the carbon monoxide poisoning Maryland were reportedly poisoned by accident in their sleep from a gas-powered generator after utility disconnected a stolen meter at their rental home, according to the Baltimore Sun.

Firefighter Falls Through Roof, Gets Intense Support Across US

Firefighter Falls Through Roof: Hospitalized, Gets Intense Support Across US

A firefighter falls through roof and is now in a critical condition after tackling a house fire in Fresno, California, according to the BBC. The firefighter falls through roof when the roof of the burning house gave way, engulfing the man in flames.

Turkish flight diverts to Casablanca due to second bomb threat in two days

Turkish Airlines Bomb Threat: Emergency Landing Made, Second Bomb Threat In Two Days?

Turkish Airlines Bomb Threat – A Turkish Airlines flight made an emergency landing Monday after finding a bomb threat, making this the second time in two days that a flight was diverted because of a Turkish Airlines bomb threat.

South Pacific nations of Tonga, Samoa rattled by strong earthquakes

South Pacific Earthquakes Rattle Several Nations, Small Tsunami Follows

South Pacific Earthquakes – A pair of strong earthquakes rattled the South Pacific nations of Tonga, Samoa and Papua New Guinea Monday. The South Pacific earthquakes resulted in a small tsunami, frightening locals near the epicentre. However, there had been no reports of damage or injuries so far, reports USA Today.

One person killed after two men dressed as women tried ramming a stolen SUV through the NSA gate

NSA Shooting: One Killed, Another Severely Injured, Two Men Dressed As Women Rams N.S.A. Security Gate, No Terrorism Involved

NSA Shooting – One man was been killed while another was severely injured and taken to a local hospital after a shooting occurred at one of the main gates to the US National Security Agency at Fort Meade, Maryland. An NSA police officer who was injured during the NSA shooting was also taken to the hospital.

Find Us on Facebook

travelers today

© Copyright 2015 Travelers Today All Rights Reserved.

Subscribe to our newsletter
Real Time Analytics