The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) seems to be making many mistakes recently and they're trying to improve their image, but a recent survey shows that travelers are more satisfied with the TSA and security measures at airports than in past years.
In a Travel Leader's Group 2012 survey, they found that two-thirds (66.2%) of U.S. travelers indicate they are "satisfied" with the level of security at airports. This is a six percent increase from 2011. Only 17 percent of respondents said they were unsatisfied with security levels, a four percent decrease from last year. The remaining 16.8 percent of respondents were neither satisfied nor unsatisfied.
"The vast majority of American air traveler have adapted to today's airport security measures and, despite any perceived inconveniences, understand that the safety and well-being of all airline passengers is paramount," stated Travel Leaders Group CEO Barry Liben in a press release.
Respondents were also asked if full-body scanners are a concern. Nearly three-quarters (74.4%) said that they were not worried about the scanners, which recent studies claim to use safe levels of radiation. The other 25.6 percent of respondents are concerned by these security tools. Those who said that they were concerned listed reasons such as the potential known or unknown health risks, privacy issues, and they questioned the effectiveness of scanners.
The survey also asked users about the TSA's new security technique, "TSA PreCheck(TM)." This screening initiative requires travelers to pay $100 to provide personal information to U.S. Customs and Border Protection. This also includes submitting to a live interview and being fingerprinted, but the process ensures that travlers get through screening much faster.
When asked about their interest in this program, 39.6 percent said they would not be interested while 21.2 percent said they would mostly likely participate in order to speed up the security process. Other respondents were only somewhat likely (28%) to use this program and the remaining people said they weren't sure.
Travel Leader's Group is one of the largest travel companies in North America, encompassing nearly one-third of all travel agents. The survey, which included responses from 855 consumers throughout the U.S., was conducted from April 4 to May 16, 2012. This is the fourth year that the survey was conducted and responses were taken from social media sites like Facebook and Twitter, and also travel clients for various travel sites.